The webs.com builder was the first service to offer free website creation back in 2001. They started as Freewebs and have over 50 million hosted sites in their servers. The company was acquired by Vistaprint group in 2011 and has since made major updates once in 2012. Unfortunately, Webs has become increasingly out-of-date: there are no responsive themes, and no feature or UI changes are on the horizon
What is webs.com made for?
Having been the longest builder in the market you can bet it offers distinctive features and creates all sorts of websites from blogs, business sites, online portfolios, and e-commerce. They pride themselves in helping one become online present at no cost with the free plan.
- You can create a simple and attractive website and keep it online for free, forever
- Webs.com file manager makes it easy to upload files for visitors to download
- The apps integrate with other services and expand your site’s functionality
- No way to migrate to another host as no raw code accessible.
- No way to embed videos or add custom code without upgrading to a paid plan
- Calling customer service isn’t an option unless you pay for the most expensive plan
Features of Webs.com
Ease of use
The layout is a very clean platform and an absolute pleasure to work with. It is smartly designed with all options you expect to use readily available. It also has Facebook integration allowing users to log in or signup using Facebook accounts.
Ready-made and an array of 40 to choose from. They are highly customizable hence giving you a creativity balance to design your unique website based solely on your ideology. All elements are at disposal expect video and codes that require upgrading.
If you subscribe to their premium plans, you can get email support for the Starter plan, email + live chat for the Enhanced plan, and email + live chat + phone support for their Pro plan. There is no support for the free plan. This is understandable as they have millions of users to support, and it’s only fair to give paying users a higher priority and better service levels.
When it comes to selling online webs aren’t the best editor. But this doesn’t limit you to using the platform to create an online shop. There are pay options like PayPal but these features are available on paid plans. There are also tools to track your inventory, create coupon codes, and creating shipping options.
Other Features of Webs.com
- Custom Domain Names: There’s no better way to add polish and professionalism to your website than with a custom domain like MyBusiness.com.
- Drag & Drop Builder: It’s easy to make your site look just the way you want it to with drag-and-drop modules that can be easily added and re-arranged.
- Theme Customization: Personalization doesn’t stop when you choose a theme. Adjust the colors, fonts, background, and more to make it your own.
- Blogs: A blog is a great way to drive more traffic to your website and keep your visitors engaged. Ours is easy to set up and use.
- Calendars: Keep site visitors or organization members up to date with an integrated calendar on your website.
- Maps: Maps add polish to your contact page and make it easy for customers to find you. They’re simple to add and integrate.
- Site Membership: Website membership is a great way to organize people around a cause or event. Like a town hall located on the web.
- Password Protection: We make it easy to share only the things you want on your website. Give access to members only, or protect sensitive items.
- Contact Forms: Giving visitors a simple way to contact you from your site is great for everyone. You can view all your contacts in one place.
Pricing in Webs.com
- $0 Free Up to 40 MB of storage, displays a Webs.com ad. Limited to 5 pages.
- $6.99 Starter Unlimited pages, a custom domain name, and 1GB of storage.
- $14.99 Enhanced Sell up to 20 items, 5 GB of storage, and gain access to their premium themes.
- $29.99 Pro For those looking to sell unlimited products, it comes with phone support and unlimited storage.
Alternatives to Webs.com
- OLITT– helps you create fast-loading websites within minutes without touching any code. Simple and efficient to both developers and novice users.
- WIX – boasts a feature-rich website builder software trusted by thousands of customers very reliable and user friendly.
Webs being a solid builder and in the market for long, the building experience is enjoyable and very affordable. Unfortunately, since Vistaprint took over it has remained outdated and more restrictive given the measures added by the company. No updates and customer support based on paid plans thus not ideal. But if you need a free website or want to get acquitted to web creation it’s a good tool and good value for your money.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is webs builder?
Webs builder is the oldest and drag and drop website builder that was created in 2001 before a takeover by Vistaprint in 2011. it is very easy to use and has all features required in making a website.
2. Is webs builder free?
Yes, the webs builder has four plans a free plan and the other three paid plans. Unfortunately, the free plans contain ads from the webs builder.